Why email blocking doesn't work.

General discussion about WFilter ICF features, problems, configuration issues etc.

Moderators: imfirewall, gengw2000

garygan

Postby garygan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:19 am

Hi. I'm using WFilter Enterprise trial version and I have some question regarding blocking email.

1. I noticed from the page that there are 3 settings:

Enable Black/White List for Local Email Senders

Enable Black/White List for "To" addresses of Email Sending

Enable Black/White List for Local Receivers

May I ask what do all these 3 features do?

2. Even with the blocking sending email with attachment option enabled, I can still send email with attachment(s)?

3. When I entered abc@gmail.com in the Email Black list, and enabled 'Enable Black/White List for "To" addresses of Email Sending', I can still received the email sent for abc@gmail.com.

gengw2000

Postby gengw2000 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:07 am

WFilter has three "Email black/white list" to filter email sender/receiver account.

However, the "email black/white list" only can filter POP3/SMTP/IMAP emails. Web-based email can not be filtered.

As you know, "gmail" is web-based email, so you can not use "Email black/white list" to filter it.

Check this guide for more details: http://www.imfirewall.us/help/doc/mail_acl_example.htm

garygan

Postby garygan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:25 pm

The 'Enable Black/White List for Local Email Senders' option doesn't seems to work for me. Even though I had included abc@company.com in the email blacklist, I'm still able to sent out email using the email account. The email sending options 'with attachment' also doesn't seems to work.

I wonder does it matter if I'm connected through wifi adapter?

gengw2000

Postby gengw2000 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 am

garygan wrote: The 'Enable Black/White List for Local Email Senders' option doesn't seems to work for me. Even though I had included abc@company.com in the email blacklist, I'm still able to sent out email using the email account. The email sending options 'with attachment' also doesn't seems to work.

I wonder does it matter if I'm connected through wifi adapter?

You may use a wifi adapter, however, WFilter shall do monitoring/filtering on a wired NIC. Are you using SMTP to send email? Or web-email?

garygan

Postby garygan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:44 am

Problem solved. It turned out that Enterprise version 3.3 and below doesn't support SMTP port 587.

gengw2000

Postby gengw2000 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Great. SMTP port 587 is supported from build "en.3.3.185".

Return to “WFilter ICF”