Logging Internet Usage

General discussion about WFilter ICF features, problems, configuration issues etc.

Moderators: imfirewall, gengw2000

RobertMacD

Logging Internet Usage

Postby RobertMacD » Sun May 20, 2012 2:17 am

I'm thinking of buying WFilter to monitor internet usage, however the ONLY critical thing that I need is to be able to

periodically check the amount of internet usage for any User Accounts on the computer. When I say Internet Usage I'm

specifically interested in being able to check the number of megabytes used (downloaded) by any user Account on the PC.

Ex: A person who does nothing more than check their e-mail would have a very small amount of usage, but a person who

downloaded a movie would have a very high amount of usage! Anyhow I want to keep a record of those usage amounts.

If someone who has used WFilter can tell me if this product can do this, I'd kindly appreciate your comments!

Robert

rmacdonald12@aol.com

gengw2000

Logging Internet Usage

Postby gengw2000 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:12 am

WFilter is able to monitor internet usage(including bandwidth details) by computers or users.

However, you mentioned to monitor individual "user accounts". If your computer has multiple logon users at a same time, it is complicated to setup for WFilter to monitor individual users.

Please check this topic: How to do monitoring/filtering based on user accounts?

RobertMacD

Logging Internet Usage

Postby RobertMacD » Tue May 22, 2012 3:45 am

Thank-you for replying to my question about internet monitoring with WFilter! I have one other question...

If I choose to avoid the bother of restricting usage by user accounts, can I instead set up a general PC

restriction on internet usage, for example, not permitting more than 200 mb of download for the computer?

I work at a hotel where some people might try to download songs or a movie (even though policy is our PC

can only be used for brief checking of e-mail). Even having a way to restrict "total downloads" is useful!

Any time the total downloads cap is reached a person would have to come into our office to get someone to

reset the downloads cap. Very grateful for a reply!

gengw2000

Logging Internet Usage

Postby gengw2000 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:58 am

The answer is also "yes".

Please check this topic: http://blog.imfirewall.us/How+To+Control+Internet+Bandwidth+Usage+On+Network.aspx

However, though WFilter can limit a computer's bandwidth for a period of time, I am afraid there is no such a feature to reset the downloads cap. (The client computer has to wait until the blocking expires).

Return to “WFilter ICF”