I see another program does not require manageable switch.

General discussion about WFilter ICF features, problems, configuration issues etc.

Moderators: imfirewall, gengw2000

barak

Postby barak » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 am

I want to deploy WFilter in a new office without a manageable switch.

I want to confirm whether "port mirroring" is required for WFilter, because I saw another product claims they don't need a manageable switch.

gengw2000

Postby gengw2000 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 am

1. A manageable switch is not required.

The simplest way to deploy WFilter is to enable "port mirroring" in your switch/router. This pass-by filtering mode is easy to setup and does no influence to your network. Therefore it's recommended.

In case a manageable switch is unavailable, WFilter can also be deployed in "pass-through" mode. This mode needs a computer with two NICs to work as a network bridge. The deployment is a little complicated. Please check this topic for details: Deploy WFilter in a network bridge.

2. Why some other products can enable monitoring without a manageable switch?

1). Maybe this program works in pass-through mode too.

2). Some programs have "arpspoof" integrated. When enabled, it can send arp spoof packets to make itself acting as a network bridge. This behavior can slow down your network, and it can not monitor computers with anti-arp firewalls.

3). If you already have an arpspoof tool(eg: open source arpspoof tool, WFilter also can work with it. Please notice, the monitoring mode of WFilter shall be "by IP address". Again: ARP Spoof is harmful to your network, use it with caution.

Return to “WFilter ICF”