WFilter monitor outgoing Exchange mail working with Windows 7, not XP workstation

General discussion about WFilter ICF features, problems, configuration issues etc.

Moderators: imfirewall, gengw2000

IT-RSMNLK

WFilter monitor outgoing Exchange mail working with Windows 7, not XP workstation

Postby IT-RSMNLK » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Have been testing WFilter on Windows 7 laptop with port mirroring and could open de outgoing Exchange mails.

For the installation used in operational environment i have used a Windows XP desktop, with exactly the same port mirror and WFilter configuration.

But now WFilter can't monitor the outgoing mails.

Have been comparing all the WFilter settings but they are the same. Clean XP installation, No Firewall or virusscanners installed.

Don't know where to search for the reason of the two different WFilter results.

I know WFilter can't see the incoming mails because Exchange uses encryptie on default.

But the WFilter installation on XP should also see the outgoing e-mails.

Can someone help me?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:51 am

It's related to outlook settings of monitored clients computers.

Though default outlook encryption can not be monitored by WFilter, if you configure outlook to work in "SMTP", "pop3" or "imap" protocols, outlook emails will be recorded.

I believe it's not because windows 7.

We can confirm the reason if you provide me a packet dump of the email traffic. Steps:

1. Start packet capturing in "Help"->"Support".

2. Send or receive an email in a monitored client computer.

3. Stop packet capturing and send the "imsupport.zip" file to support@imfirewall.us

IT-RSMNLK

Postby IT-RSMNLK » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:26 am

Thank you for the reply. I will get the packet dump.

Still some extra info. The laptop and desktop are installed in the same environment and conencted to the same network, port and switch (not at the same time offcourse). So both monitored the same clients.

Return to “WFilter ICF”