How to monitor and block DHCP students computers?

General discussion about WFilter ICF features, problems, configuration issues etc.

Moderators: imfirewall, gengw2000

thermoduric

Postby thermoduric » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:27 pm

I am evaluating WFilter Enterprise and like your product. I have a few questions.

I have two network segments. On one of these segments, I have 100 static IP addresses in a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory domain. My Windows Server 2003 is also a DHCP server and leases out 25 ip addresses from the first segment, and 50 addresses from the second segment. I installed the evaluation copy to monitor in IP Address mode, which was advised when you have multiple segments.

The IP addresses, which are leased from both segments, are for students who are on our campus for a limited time, usually from one day to one week. If I block an IP address because the student violates a blocking level, it will block that IP address. The problem occurs when that machine is turned off and the IP address lease expires. When the machine is turned back on, it may receive a different IP address and is no longer blocked. In the meantime, the original IP address may be reassigned to another machine, and the block is in place for the wrong machine.

What is the best way to handle this situation?

gengw2000

Postby gengw2000 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Since the students computers are changing, it becomes difficult for you to monitor and manage them.

I have two solutions for you:

1. Monitoring and blocking by AD username, so it doesn't matter if computers/IPs are changed.

2. Using static IP addresses instead.

3. Assign a same blocking policy to the students ip range, so you don't need to set a special policy for a certain student.

Return to “WFilter ICF”