WFilter free is not blocking p2p

General discussion about WFilter Free features, problems, configuration issues etc.

Moderators: imfirewall, gengw2000

Trezona

Postby Trezona » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:06 am

Hello,

I am viewing all the p2p blockings in the blocking log, but i have a client that is still downloading from a bittorrent site fine!

Could this have anything to do with the fact that the blocking adapter still has an error "Can not get the gateway ip address." ?

Clive.

imfirewall

Postby imfirewall » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 am

If your WFilter works in "pass-by" mode, for completely p2p blocking, you need to block udp ports 1024-65534 in your router.

For "pass-through" mode, you need to install WFilter IMNPTF driver for pass-through udp filtering.

Please check this guide:

http://www.imfirewall.us/support/WFilter_4_0/Doc/WFilter_blockudp.htm

http://www.imfirewall.us/support/WFilter_4_0/Doc/WFilter_install_imnptf.htm

Trezona

Postby Trezona » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:50 am

I am using pass-through mode, and i have installed the IMNPTF driver.

When i "Check settings" it is saying "Ok"

imfirewall

Postby imfirewall » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:28 am

There are several reasons can lead to no blocking:

1. This computer can bypass wfilter monitoring physically. For example, it's connected to an upper layer device.

2. Incorrect blocking policy settings. (ie: not in blocking ip range, not in blocking time)

3. Incorrect wfilter blocking adapter settings. ( blocking will no work at all).

4. A certain protocol/program/behavior is not supported.

Please check whether you can block web access of this computer. If it's true, then 1,2,3 can be excluded.

For reason 4, please notice, "blocking bittorrent" blocks downloading of bittorrent/utorrent/bitcomet and other torrent clients. But it does not include downloading from a website using your browser. Do you have any idea of the torrent client program name and version?

Pathfinders

Postby Pathfinders » Tue May 27, 2014 9:27 pm

I have this software set up and it was working perfectly but now all of a sudden BitTorrent traffic is coming through and I test the filter and it says Test Error- No blocking is applied to this computer at this time. I have the setup block all P2P all the time. Basically, nothing has changed between the times it was working and when it stopped working. I did go back and try to reset all the settings, it says everything is working properly, settings haven't changed in the router, but every time I run the blocking test it gives the same Test Error.

I have been working with networks and on computers since 2000 so I'm not a newbie but I'm not sure what is going on here.

imfirewall

Postby imfirewall » Wed May 28, 2014 2:03 am

Pathfinders wrote: I have this software set up and it was working perfectly but now all of a sudden BitTorrent traffic is coming through and I test the filter and it says Test Error- No blocking is applied to this computer at this time. I have the setup block all P2P all the time. Basically, nothing has changed between the times it was working and when it stopped working. I did go back and try to reset all the settings, it says everything is working properly, settings haven't changed in the router, but every time I run the blocking test it gives the same Test Error.

I have been working with networks and on computers since 2000 so I'm not a newbie but I'm not sure what is going on here.

It seems this ip address is assigned with another policy, or it's not in the blocking time. This is related to your "IP Policy" in "Policy Settings".

Can you please tell me which ip address are you testing? Also please post screenshots of "IP Policy" and the "Blocking Time" of your blocking policy.

Return to “WFilter Free”